Friday, August 20, 2010

Books Celebrating Rural Lifestyle?

Hi,





I'm looking kindly for some novel suggestion.





I'm a swedish guy in my 20's who lives in the country side, having moved here due to my disillusionment with the capitalist lifestyle. In doing so, I made a lot of sacrifices including leaving my ex-girlfriend and a well paid job behind.





I find people on the land very friendly and they've been so helpful with regard to me finding my feet here. Ive also started playing music with a folk group which I toughly enjoy. I played in an orchestra in Stockholm when I was younger and dreaded it.





The only negative thing I can say is that there is a serious shortage of people my own age here.





Anyway, a lot of the books I have read in the past have played men, whites or rural people in a negative light and I feel that such a culture fails to challenge all western world people in terms of how we impact on the third world. For example, my ex often complained about the fact that I got paid more than her, but when I challenged her for buying clothes made in sweatshops by children, she never changed her shopping habits. My ex would also complain that it was harder for her to get a job because she had a Bosnian surname, but would drive to work rather than take the subway, despite knowing fine well the effect oil production has on third world regions. Its pure hypocrisy and I don't think such attitudes are challenged in many of the books I have read. Please help? It feels that everyone wants to be a victim today and that there is a whole range of authors there to facilitate them in doing so. People want to complain about the inequalities that are part and parcel of capitalism, while still enjoying the luxuries it offers.





I saw a really good film recently about a man who is jailed for beating his wife. The woman in question then meets a new man, before her husband is released having been through the process of rehabilitation. The married pair, against all common sense, then indulge in a secret affair while you are left wondering if he actually has been cured. In the end, the new man is left heart broken. I thought it was a very intelligent film, which left you sympathizing with all three in different ways. I would like to read books which explore intelligent themes as this one does. Themes relevant to the world today.





So to sum up, I'm looking for intelligent books and indeed books which celebrate the rural lifestyle.





Thanks for reading,





Johannas. Books Celebrating Rural Lifestyle?
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I loved the book, and it is now a wonderful movie as well.





Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.





Christopher McCandless goes beyond rural touching people along the way. True Story

No comments:

Post a Comment